Deontay Wilder ENDS hopes of Anthony Joshua unification fight | Boxing | Sport

0
10


Deontay Wilder had been calling for a heavyweight unification bout with Anthony Joshua in the New Year which looked on the cards.

However, it now seems increasingly likely that the American’s next fight will be against Luis Ortiz instead.

The WBC champion had been due to fight the 38-year-old before he failed a drugs test, putting paid to the plans.

However, Ortiz has since been cleared and returned to the ring on Friday night with a knock-out win over Daniel Martz, after which Wilder called out the Cuban.

“Thank God that he blessed you again and because he blessed you, I’m going to bless you too,” Wilder said.

“I think you’re one of the best and I want to prove I’m one of the best. So for the best to prove they’re the best, the best must fight each other.

“So I’m going to bless you again with a second opportunity… I’m coming for you.

“I’m ready, I don’t want no excuses.”

The bout would rule out the possibility of a unification fight with Joshua in early 2018 but the Brit claimed last month he doubted Wilder was serious about facing him.

“It seems to me that there’s interest but it’s not a serious interest,” Joshua said.

“Eddie [Hearn] is going to America for the Daniel Jacobs fight and he’s contacting the champions that are interested in fighting.

“I’ll have to put my foot forward and start making the offers and trying to secure a fight with the likes of Deontay Wilder or [WBO champion] Joseph Parker.”



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here